8. What are your top five (5) recommendations for other expats that want to relocate to Costa Rica?
Our top 5 recommendations for other expats that want to relocate to Costa Rica are (in no specific order):
- Get a REALLY good counsel, such as Cristina and her team at BZ Legal. This is very important even in our own countries of course, but especially in a country that we do not belong to and don’t know much about. It’s so important to have a professional and timely lawyer that also has the ability to speak English if you do not know much or any Spanish at all, and that can help you with all of your legal needs no matter what they may be. Communication is always key, and Cristina is excellent at this!
- Do not come to Costa Rica and try to change things or think that the locals and their culture should be more like yours back where you’re from. Embrace the culture and immerse yourself in it. Be respectful and mindful, and always remember that you are a GUEST here! If you can’t accept this and adapt, you need to go back home!
- Do some basic research before visiting if planning on living in Costa Rica full time or long term. You can find a wealth of free information that we have provided for others on our YouTube channel! Many people find our videos extremely helpful.
- Know that if you end up living in a smaller area or a beach town and you can’t find something that you want or need, you can always go to a larger town/city to get it! You might have to travel an hour or two or four to get it, but you can make it fun and enjoyable and make a little trip out of it! There are always ways to find things and contrary to the belief of many others, Costa Rica has LOTS of things available in country!
- It’s a privilege to live in such a beautiful country like Costa Rica, so just do it! Push any fears aside and take the leap of faith if you are ready to do so. You won’t regret it and it will be worth it!
9. What is your favorite activity in Samara?
Our favorite activity in Samara is simply just visiting the beach and spending lots of time there! Along with Playa Carrillo too, we really love that beach as well. Doing this just never gets old!
10. Mention three (3) places that you recommend visiting in Costa Rica.
3 places we recommend visiting in Costa Rica are:
- Samara/Carrillo area
- Santa Teresa/Montezuma area
- Manuel Antonio/Uvita area
- Arenal and the La Fortuna area and places inland like that are also a must visit!
11. What do you miss the most about Canada?
The thing we miss most about Canada would have to be the traditional snowy/cold Canadian Christmas. Other than that, not much at all!
12. You have two (2) boys that are homeschooled. What has been their experience of growing up in Costa Rica so far?
Our two boys absolutely love their life here in Costa Rica and they will still tell you this to this day 6 years later! Their experience growing up here has broadened their horizons in a big way and has taught them so many valuable things in life. They have a much better balance in their daily life as well, and we are so grateful that we are able to provide them with this (and they truly are too!)
13. Where do you see yourselves five (5) years from now?
In 5 years from now, we personally see ourselves still living in Samara and running our businesses just like we are doing now since we truly love what we do, but with the possibility of traveling more worldwide and spending more time in other countries while always having our beautiful piece of paradise here in Samara to come home to. At that point we will hire a property manager to look after our Airbnb and we will have someone stay on the property and take care of everything. It will be strange for us at that time for sure and it will be a big change, but a welcome one!
14. Please share your contact info in case other expats want to get in touch with you.
To book a stay in one of our beautiful Airbnb’s, or to book a consultation Q&A session with us, we can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
15. How did you get to know about Blue Zone Legal?
We know about Cristina and BZ Legal through friends of ours that used to live in Playa Del Coco. They had nothing but a great experience with Cristina’s help and expertise, so they referred her to us a few years ago and we are so happy that they did!
You can visit our website and YouTube channel to learn more about our experience, business and lifestyle: